Essential information for patient and family
- Obtaining a correct diagnosis can be an important step in managing a childís developmental problems and planning for the future. Previously inexplicable behaviours may be seen to be part of a pattern of difficulties.
- Your child will need ongoing support and will benefit from the involvement of a wide network of professionals.
- Individuals with autism or Asperger syndrome often make significant developmental gains well into adult life, but they do not grow out of their difficulties.
- Playing to the individualís strengths and minimizing situations that require sophisticated social skills are important aspects of maximizing an individualís functioning and satisfaction.
- Some will need life-long supervision and care, while others can achieve greater levels of independence.
- Advice and support can be provided through your local National Autistic Society group.
Last edited: 17/9/2003
PREVIOUS 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT
(Page 4 of 8 in this chapter).