Liaison and referral
Referral to secondary mental health services is advised:
- as an emergency if very vulnerable, eg if there is significant risk of suicide or disruptive behaviour
- urgently if significant symptoms continue or escalate despite treatment.
Non-urgent referral or advice from specialist worker is recommended:
- for assessment, care planning and allocation of key worker under the Care Programme Approach
- before starting lithium
- for medication review and for other treatment strategies, eg cognitive behavioural therapy
- because of lithiumís teratogenicity, for preconceptual counselling or contraception advice; for all women with a history of bipolar disorder to plan prevention and management of high risk (up to 50%) of puerperal psychosis.
Last edited: 20/8/2003
PREVIOUS 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT
(Page 7 of 8 in this chapter).